• 思澜小编     Chip in

    • Just for Fun

    • 片段讲解秀

    • from:《蒙娜丽莎的微笑》

    455'

    The four friends are chipping in for a bottle of wine for a party they’ve been invited to.
    四人为一个晚餐宴会凑份子买酒当礼物。
    Jerry: Come on. We’re all chipping in for wine.
    来,我们凑份子去买葡萄酒吧。
    George: I don’t even drink wine. I drink Pepsi.
    我不喝葡萄酒,我只喝百事可乐。
    Jerry: You can’t bring Pepsi.
    我们总不能送人家一瓶可乐吧?
    George: Why not?
    为什么不能呢?
    Jerry: Because we’re adults.
    因为我们是成年人。
    George: You’re telling me that wine is better than Pepsi? No way wine is better than Pepsi.
    你在告诉我葡萄酒比可乐好吗?不,葡萄酒怎么也比不上可乐。
    Jerry: I’ll tell ya, George, I don’t think we want to walk in there and put a big plastic jug of Pepsi in the middle of the table.
    我告诉你,George,我认为我们不至于打算走进主人家门,把一大塑料瓶的百事可乐放在人家桌上。
    George: I just don’t like the idea that any time there’s dinner invitation, there’s this annoying little chore that goes along with it.
    我就是讨厌这些所谓的礼节。每次一有人请吃晚饭,就得四处买礼物啊什么的,好烦!
    Jerry: Well, you’ve become quite a chore yourself.
    我看你就够烦人的了!

    俚语讲解:
    chip in:to contribute money or labor凑钱,出力
    chip-in: a gift that everyone contributes money toward凑份子买的礼物

    eg: We all chipped in for beer.
    我们凑钱买了啤酒。
    eg: I can only afford to chip in a few dollars this time.
    这次我只能出几美元。

    扩展:
    chip in also means to interrupt with comments or interject
    chip in的另一个常用的意思是:“插嘴,打断”
    eg:Lisa chipped in that it was nobody’s fault.
    Lisa突然插嘴说谁都没错。

    文化:
    1. This expression comes from gambling: a chip is a small disk or counter used in poker and other games to represent money.
    在赌博中,用一些小圆片作为筹码,代表钱数,由此chip引申为money。
    2. Wine, flowers and candies are traditional gifts for the hostess of a dinner party.
    被邀请去参加晚宴,出于礼节应送给女主人葡萄酒、鲜花、糖果等当礼物。

    1970-01-01   12赞       1踩       298浏览 评论(6)
思澜小编
男 资深龙套lv17

3590/3960

粉丝 44关注 38